Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons tamari low sodium
- 1½ teaspoons dried thyme
- 1½ teaspoon dried tarragon
- ½ white onion small diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons cashews soaked in water for 2 to 3 hours
- 3 ½ cups vegetable broth low-sodium
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon white miso
- ¼-½ teaspoon sea or Himalayan salt
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Garnish: tahini red pepper flakes
- Add the sliced mushrooms, tamari, dried herbs and a few tablespoons of water to a medium pot and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms release their juices and start to brown. Remove 1/3 cup of the mushrooms from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot of mushrooms and sauté again for another 8 minutes until the onions become translucent. Stirring often and adding water as needed to prevent burning. Add the red wine vinegar, stir and set aside.
- Drain the cashews, discard the soaking liquid and add them to a blender along with the mushroom/onion mix, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, and miso and blend on high until smooth.
- Transfer back to the pot and bring to a gentle simmer. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add more broth to thin the soup is desired. Divide among bowls and garnish with reserved sautéed mushrooms, a drizzle of tahini, and/or red pepper flakes.
- This soup will thicken as it cools. When reheating you can add more veggie broth to thin it out.