About This Healthy Vegan Taco Salad
This loaded, healthy Vegan Taco Salad is a main-dish salad!
It’s my way of switching up #tacotuesday!
All the taco flavours in a healthy, nutritious salad. This was my intention!
You got creamy sour cream, salsa, spicy black bean filling, crisp veggies and lettuce, and crunchy pita topping!
This vegan taco salad is all about the toppings, so don’t skimp! I’d even suggest going all out and piling the toppings high!
Ingredients You'll Need
- Romaine Lettuce
- Bell Peppers
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Mango (fresh or frozen)
- Green or Red Onion
- Black Beans
- Frozen Corn
- Basic Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce
- Spices (smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper)
- Pita Chips (homemade or purchased)
How To Make This Recipe
1. Prep the toppings and sour cream so they’re ready to go!
2. Chop all veggies and assemble salads.
3. Make the black bean and corn filling by heating all the ingredients in a pot for just a minute and then pile onto the salads! Garnish with all the toppings!
According to our appetites (we have BIG ones), this salad can serve 2 to 3 as a main dish!
Black beans! Our taco filling for this vegan taco salad is made from black beans meaning you’re getting MAJOR health-supportive, plant-based protein, soluble and insoluble fibre, and antioxidants!
Legumes (beans, peas, lentils) are underrated superfoods and should be consumed daily.
They’re good for digestion, keeping you full, and feeding the healthy bacteria in your gut that are absolutely essential for nutrient absorption, proper functioning of the immune system, and hormonal balance.
My FAVOURITE Vegan Taco?
I’m totally bias!
The Tempeh Tacos from The Plant-Based Cookbook are my all-time fav vegan tacos. I came up with this recipe for a cooking class I used to teach called “Soy Confused” and it was always a hit! I knew that it would end up in a cookbook! Get the cookbook now!
Healthy Vegan Taco Salad
- 1 large head romaine lettuce washed, spun dry and finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeds and stem removed, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeds and stem removed, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced OR ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 small jalapeno seeds removed and thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 mango peeled and diced (or 1 cup frozen, see notes)
- 1 large avocado peeled and pit removed, diced
Black Beans and Corn Filling
- 1½ cups cooked or canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernals
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper depending on preference
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- Salsa of choice
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 to 2 Limes sliced into wedges
- Hot sauce vinegar-based (like Frank's)
- 1 batch Basic Sour Cream , see notes for link to recipe
- Handful whole wheat pita chips or homemade , crushed (see Step 1 and notes). For gluten-free use brown rice wrap or crushed nuts.
- First, make the Basic Cashew Sour Cream and set aside. If making your own pita chips, toast 1 whole wheat pita bread in an oven preheated to 375ºF for about 8 to 10 minutes until golden. Let cool and crush into little chips.
- Chop and prep all the veggies (romaine through bell pepper). You can layer all the salad ingredients in a large salad bowl for a serve-yourself presentation or you can make it in individual bowls. Set aside.
- Get all your toppings ready to go and on the table or counter.
- Next, place the beans, corn, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, and lime juice in a medium pot and cook over medium heat just for a couple of minutes, stirring, until the corn is not longer frozen and everything is heated throughout. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed to prevent burning.
- Serve the Black Bean and Corn Filling (while it's hot) on top of the salads and then garnish with all the toppings – salsa, crushed pita bread chips, cilantro, jalapeños, hot sauce, Basic Sour Cream, and lots of freshly squeezed lime! Toss and enjoy!
Loved this. So fresh and flavourful.
Also, I really appreciate the way you lay out the recipes. Perfect for the way I like to read them.
p.s I’ve just bought your recipe book too. Exactly what I’d been looking for! xx
Thanks so much, Tam! This makes my day 🙂
I hope you enjoy the cookbook! Feel free to send me any feedback. Take care!