Wild Rice and Shaved Asparagus Salad with Tarragon Cream
- High Speed Blender
- 1 cup mixed wild rice blend
- 8 radishes thinly sliced (~1 cup)
- 8-10 thick asparagus spears 1 ½ cups asparagus ribbons
- ½ cup cashews chopped
- Garnish: additional chopped cashews and/or finely chopped fresh tarragon
Cashew Tarragon Cream
- ½ cup raw cashews soaked in water for 3 hours
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Place the rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold water. Shake off and drain any excess water.
- Place the vegetable broth in a small-medium saucepan, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling add the dried rice, cover again and reduce to a gentle simmer. Cook for 35-45 minutes or until all the broth is absorbed. Once cooked, fluff the rice and set aside covered and let steam for 10 minutes. Transfer to a glass bowl and let cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400ºF. Toss the sliced radish with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or cooking oil of choice (lemon juice for an oil-free option), transfer to a baking sheet and generously season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10-12 minutes. The radishes are done when they begin to brown and shrivel around the edges. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Trim the woody ends off the asparagus and discard. Peel the asparagus spears into ribbons by laying the spears down on a cutting board and running a vegetable peeler lengthwise, end-to-end. This should yield ~ 1 ½ cups asparagus ribbons. Set aside.
- Cashew Tarragon Cream
- Drain the cashews and add them and all other cream ingredients to a high-speed blender. Blend on high until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Mix the cooled rice, roasted radishes, asparagus and chopped cashews in a large bowl. Divide among plates and drizzle with as much Tarragon Cream as is desired. Garnish with additional cashews and chopped tarragon.
For a more complex flavour toast the cashews that are used for garnish.
Use leftover tarragon cream as a sauce or dip for roasted vegetables or general salad dressing.