About This Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
This roasted red pepper pasta sauce (oil-free and made in a blender) is out of this freakin’ world!
I am serious about this pasta! I like to use hot water or broth when I’m making this sauce just before serving. But if I’m making this ahead of time I use refrigerated or room temp water/broth.
And I also like the sauce a little on the thick side and prefer to thin it as needed with starchy pasta water.
The secret to this amazing sauce? Roasting your own peppers which is so easy! See below.
Ingredients You'll Need
- any pasta (type and shape you like)
- roasted red peppers (about 2)
- nutritional yeast
- dried oregano
- onion powder
- crushed red pepper flakes
- ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- water or vegetable broth
How To Make
- Roast your peppers or pick up some roasted red peppers packed in water.
- Add all sauce ingredients to a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Cook pasta and toss with sauce!
How To Roast Red Peppers
Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Place the whole peppers on a sheet pan lines with parchment. Place in the oven.
Rotate the peppers every 15 minutes. You want all sides to be charred and black. Your kitchen will smell delicious!
When done, remove from the oven and place in a heat-proof bowl. Cover with a plate to let the peppers cool. The steam will loosen the skins.
Once cooled, remove the skins, stem, and seeds and your roasted peppers are ready!
Tips & Tricks
- Roast your peppers ahead of time and keep in the fridge until needed.
- If using jarred roasted red peppers, be sure to choose red peppers packed in water and not oil.
- Add veggies like cauliflower or broccoli in with the pasta while it’s simmering. Cauliflower will need about 5 minutes of cooking time and broccoli about 3 minutes (depending on size of florets).
- Use leftover vegan roasted red pepper pasta sauce as a grain bowl sauce or drizzle on steamed veggies.
Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- 12 ounces (340 grams) brown rice, whole wheat, quinoa, or legume pasta, any shape you like
- ¾ cup cashews (unsalted and unroasted) soaked for 1 to 3 hours in water*
- ¾ cup roasted red peppers , about 2 roasted red peppers, peeled, seeds and stems removed **
- 2 large garlic cloves
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ - ½ crushed red pepper flakes , depending on how spicy you like it
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- Pinch black pepper or to taste
- ¾ cup hot water or vegetable broth* plus more as needed
- For serving: Sliced black olives, fresh herbs, microgreens
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, drain the cashews and add them to a blender along with all other ingredients. Blend until completely smooth and add more liquid as needed (water or broth). Taste and reseason as needed with salt and black pepper
- When the pasta is done, reserve about ½ cup of pasta cooking liquid then drain, rinse the pasta with running water, and return the pasta back to the pot. Pour the desired amount of sauce onto the pasta and toss with tongs to mix. Keep adding more sauce until it’s how you like it. Use the remaining pasta water to thin if needed.