Full disclosure, fancy paper straws are just for show. Obv. But since plastic straws are destroying the planet, I recommend you slurp this vegan Strawberry Shortcake Smoothie with a metal straw!
I do, however, like to use these sweet glass bottles for smoothies….mostly because they fit in the cup holder in my car!
So we’ve been having hot, humid weather which is unusual but welcome! Because before you know it, mittens and scarves will be at the front of our closets once again!
In the meantime, the heat is making me reach for cold beverages and snack-y foods. My sweet-tooth is still alive and well and smoothies are meeting my needs!
This vegan strawberry shortcake smoothie was inspired by a bunch of organic strawberries and a recipe for, you guessed it, strawberry shortcake!
I combined the two and voilà – a creamy, cool and indulgent milkshake-smoothie hybrid that is as dreamy as it sounds!
Strawberry Shortcake Smoothie
- ¼ cup cashews soaked for 15 minutes in warm water
- 4 medjool dates pitted (soaked for 15 minutes in warm water)
- 1 large frozen very ripe banana
- 2 packed cups frozen sliced strawberries see notes for fresh
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1½ - 1¾ unsweetened soy or almond milk
- Drain the cashews and the dates and add them and all other ingredients, starting with 1 ½ cups milk, to the blender and blend until smooth. Add more milk to achieve desired consistency. If you’re using fresh strawberries, reduce the liquid to 1 cup and add 2-3 ice cubes.