Chocolate Matcha Oat Bars
- 1 ½ cups gluten free rolled oats I prefer Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- 12 medjool dates pitted (~1 ½ cups)
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder plus extra for dusting
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea or Himalayan salt
- Line a square baking dish (8x8 in) with parchment paper. Do this by tracing the bottom of the pan/dish onto parchment and cutting it out.
- Add 1 cup of oats (reserve ½ cup for pressing into the outside of the bars once they come out of the freezer) and all other ingredients to a food processor.
- Process until the mix comes together and starts rolling around in the processor in a ball (see video). At first it will be crumbly but will eventually come together.
- Transfer the mix to the parchment lined baking dish. Push the mix into the dish and smooth out the surface. The mix will be sticky. Take ¼ cup of the reserved oats and sprinkle over the top and press the oats into the bars. Try and cover most of the surface. Place the dish in the freezer for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and flip the dish onto a clean cutting board. Peel the parchment paper off the dough. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup oats on the surface and press them into the dough (the same way you did with the other side).
- Using a very sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 bars or 16 squares. Dust with extra matcha powder and keep in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week.
Be sure to use medjool dates for this recipe! These dates are bigger and creamier and ideal for making raw treats!