Sometimes I forget that a smoothie bowl sounds like you might be drinking your smoothie from a bowl! I mean you can totally slurp your smoothie from a bowl, I can get down with that, but that’s not the intention.
Rather, a smoothie bowl is like a hybrid between a smoothie and nice cream (ice cream made from bananas). It’s thick and creamy and usually cold because it’s made with some form of frozen fruit.
Why Your Smoothie Bowls Might Suck…
Berry Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 frozen banana
- 3 tbsp rolled oats (gluten-free if desired)
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed (also called flax meal)
- pinch cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsweetened plant-based milk (+ more if needed)
- Sliced almonds (raw or toasted)
- Sprouted buckwheat
- Rolled oats
- Fresh berries
- Nut butter
- Chia seeds
- Cacao nibs
- Add all the smoothie bowl ingredients to a high-speed blender. Blend on high, using your tamper to assist in the blending, until the mixture is almost smooth. Add more milk as needed to achieve a thinner consistency if desired. I like mine thick with a little texture!
- Top with your preferred toppings and enjoy immediately.