Basic Bruschetta (Plant-Based, Oil-Free)
- 4 beefsteak tomatoes 3 to 4 cups diced whatever tomatoes are fresh and in season*
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup finely diced red or white onion
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Bread of choice, sliced (as thick or thin as you like)
- 2 large garlic cloves, halved
- Garnish: red pepper flakes, fresh basil
- Cut the tomatoes in half and remove all the juice and seeds and discard (if using cherry tomatoes, you can skip this step). Dice the tomatoes and place in a large bowl. Add the garlic, onion, and balsamic and mix. Set aside for 15 minutes to marinate. This step isn't essential but I think makes for a better end result.
- Now add the fresh basil, salt, and red pepper flakes. Toss and re-season to taste.
- Toast your bread until golden in color (I like to do this in the oven). When cool enough to handle, but still warm, rub the halved garlic cloves into each slice. This creates incredible flavor! Immediately spoon the bruschetta onto the toast and garnish with more basil and red pepper flakes if desired for a spicy finish.
- diced cucumber
- diced avocado
- nut parmesan
- drizzle of balsamic reduction