Easy Stovetop Beans
Prep Time: 20 mins
Smoky, chunky, flavorful beans made in minutes! I pair these stovetop beans with warm grains (rice or quinoa) and steamed vegetables for a complete healthy meal made in less than 30 minutes!
- 1 small red or yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes or more if you like it spicy
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups cooked or canned navy beans rinsed and drained, about 2 (15 oz) cans
- ¾ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Black pepper
- Optional: 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Serving suggestions: cooked brown grains steamed greens, chopped avocado
In a large sauté pan, sauté the onion for 5 minutes with a few tablespoons of water until soft and translucent. Add the garlic, spices, and tomato paste. Continue to sauté for another few minutes, stirring and adding water as needed to prevent burning.
Add the beans, vegetable broth and salt. Bring to a simmer and simmer for a few minutes, partially covered, until the sauce thickens. Finally, add the red wine vinegar (and maple syrup if using) and mix. Taste, reseason with salt and pepper, and enjoy!
- Serve these stovetop beans with cooked grains, steamed vegetables or greens, and sliced avocado for a complete meal.
- You can use black beans or chickpeas instead of navy beans.
- Add the maple syrup if you like a little sweetness in your beans!